Where and What Haines Recycles
The HFR Recycle Center located on Small Tracts Road accepts:
- Aluminum beverage cans
- Paper (white, mixed, cardboard, shredded white paper, newspaper)
- Tin cans (rinsed with paper removed)
- Plastic (#1 clear, #2 solid color and cloudy)
- Copper and brass (only when we are open Th/F 9-12 & Sat 10-2)
- Fluorescent tubes: $1 for 4 feet; $2 for 8 feet (only when we are open Th/F 9-12 & Sat 10-2)
- Metal appliances: $20 per appliance (only when we are open Th/F 9-12 & Sat 10-2)
BEFORE DROPPING THESE ITEMS MAKE SURE THEY ARE CLEAN AND READY TO RECYCLE. CHECK THIS WEB-SITE FOR MORE INFORMATION
The following chart is an easy to use quick reference. Print it out for posting from this PDF
Please post it in the area of your home where you collect your recyclables
Why is it important to sort the items you bring for recycling?
- We are paid for each product and we have to have it sorted to be able to sell it. We are paid more for white paper ($90/ton) than for mixed paper ($25/ton).
- How do you know the number for plastics? Look at the bottom of the container for the “chasing arrows” in the triangle; the number is there! Currently we can only recycle #1 and #2 plastic.
- HFR does not have the staff or volunteer capacity to sort your recyclables, this means they get TRASHED!
Other items can be recycled other places in Haines:
Clean Glass: Community Waste Solutions on FAA Road
Automotive Batteries and Tires: Bigfoot Auto Service located at 1 mile Haines Hwy. accepts all lead-acid vehicle batteries. Cost: $4.00 /car, $12.00 /larger type; Tires are also taken for a charge
Antifreeze: Bigfoot Auto Service located at 1 mile Haines Hwy; nominal charge.
Waste Oil and Used Tires: Big Foot Auto Service and Haines Sanitation take waste oil and used tires. Turner Construction and the boat harbor take waste oil only. Freddie's automotive uses waste oil for heating.
Clothing - Salvation Army on Dalton Street and The Clothing Exchange off Portage Street
Packing "Peanuts": Haines home building
Do you need someone to pick up your recyclables?
Do you have a special event coming up and need recycling collection and pickup?